Sunday, September 27, 2009

Character Piece I

Run through in class went well. As a sketch, I find it to be adequate. As a composition, I still have a lot of work to do. Class commented that the character stayed consistent. Dr. Ross commented at length about the piece's major flaw, the unimaginative, uninspired, rhythm of the violin part. That was also the element which I hated the most. Great starting points given, in terms of freeing up the rhythm, the most interesting I found was working with figures such as duplets or quintuplets, but not in small rhythmic bursts (like 8th/16th notes) but across longer note values (half/whole notes).
Conceptually the final version of this piece will remain more or less the same, but the execution is going to be undergoing some very heavy revisions.

1 comment:

  1. Good entry, Adam, and I look forward to hearing the revised version!

    ReplyDelete